Monday, October 6, 2008

only real when shared

I watched a movie last night that got me thinking. The movie was called "Into the Wild". I knew next to nothing about it beforehand, except that is was a. by Sean Penn, b. it was based on a true story and c. it was going to be set in the wild.
So the basic plot is a 20-something year old (Christopher) decides to ditch the materialistic world behind by giving his college savings to a charity, running away from his not-so-happy family life, and hitch-hiking to the Alaskan wilderness to find happiness in nature, where there is no bullshit distractions such as watches, politicians, money and society. Oh, and changing his name to Alexander Supertramp. Now, for those of you who are planning on seeing and don't want to know the ending, just skip the rest of this entry. For the rest, here is what I was thinking about:


Christopher was an idiot. I mean, the movie portrayed him as a very charming, sweet, and intelligent (academically) young man. But, he was stupid and selfish. To leave his mum and dad and sister without saying anything and not contacting them for two years is pretty cruel. Granted, he hated his parents, but he seemed pretty close with his sister (actually, I thought she was his girlfriend right at the beginning...oops). And to go off to Alaska in the middle of winter with more books than food provisions is being underprepared to say the least.
So, he finds temporary peace and happiness while being completely cut off from modern civilization (bar a "magic" bus, hunting tools and his library collection) but soon realises that the Alaskan wilderness can be pretty shitty when you have no more rice, and the animals seem to all have disappeared except for a moose, which you manage to kill and prepare for a bbq but maggots get to it quicker than you can light the fire. And rivers are a lot wider and harder to cross in the spring than winter. Which was one of the points in the movie (and I guess in the real story) that drove me crazy. If he was that desperate to get home, why the hell didn't he walk around a bit more to find another way across?
And where did all the animals go? He couldn't have killed them all.
Anyway, the whole point of his trip was to get away from it all and to be free and enjoy the gorgeous mountains and rivers, and being in company with no one but the characters in his books. He had thought that all this solitude and freedom would give him happiness, but in the end has a change of heart. He writes in his last journal entry before he died from starvation (or eating poisonous plants): "Happiness real only when shared."
It was a sad ending to the story. I had no idea it was coming and I was hoping he would be saved.
So, my question is do you believe that happiness is real only when shared?
I agree with it to a certain degree. I think that you can find happiness within yourself and that you shouldn't rely on others to make you happy, but at the same time there is nothing that compares to sharing wonderful moments with the people you love, or making someone happy not because you expect something in return, but just because you want to.
I guess, for me... happiness is love.

And last word. Here is what else I learned from the movie:
  1. Emile Hirsch looks a lot like Leonardo DiCaprio.
  2. I would never be able to afford college in the States.
  3. If ever I had to depend on eating wild plants for survival I am gonna make damn sure I triple check my edible/inedible plants guide.
  4. Alaska does have some amazing mountains. This movie was filmed beautifully.

8 comments:

Scott said...

Loving the blog! Fantastic start! As for happiness being shared, I really think it depends. I think you can find happiness alone, but it's just a different sort. The happiness, for example like you mentioned, in the form of love and companionship, obviously would require the company of others. Like most anything in life I think it's a balance of both that's important.

Maggie said...

scott - Yay! My first comment! Thanks :) I'm glad you're enjoying it and keep coming back please.
Like you said, balance is the key and agreed that alone happiness is a different kind of happiness from that found with others. Both good and necessary.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Maggie,

I too believe in sharing my peni.. I meant Happiness too. I like how your blog sounds like you are feeding me food too. Keep it coming because I haven't eaten in 2 weeks, I too, am searching for a peni.. Happiness in the wild. Just kidding about the not eating bit, I'd rather eat my own vomit than not eating. Hope you are fine and dandy!

Maggie said...

Edouard - I am very fine and dandy, thanks! I know you like to share your "happiness" with others, too. Particularly with hot-looking people. And I wouldn't put it past you to share it in the wild either. Have fun and stuff your face with good Aussie food for me!!

Anonymous said...

I also find that the point of this book/movie is to send the message that man and nature can not live together alone. It's all a part of the whole transcendentalism thinking that if you become one with nature, you need nothing else. This book/movie/true story proves that this is not the case. Humans, like dogs, are companion enthusiasts. We adore interaction with others. Maybe not a lot of others but one or two people at least. That is why at the end he kept emphasizing that he was alone. ALONE. So alone.

I agree with you on the selfish thing. There are people out there that care about you and think about you every day. How dare you sabotage that, Chris!

Maggie said...

gooseberried - True. As much as most people need and want "alone" time, it is pretty much impossible to completely cut off interaction with others. Though, I do know some people who love the outdoors and would go mountain climbing or camping alone as much as possible. Guess that's a little different from living in nature indefinitely.
PS- thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

So by syllogistic extension, a warm puppy is love. But are all warm puppies love? Or, are all loves warm puppies? I'm fairly sure that there are some necro-beastiality fans out there who would argue that a cold puppy makes for far better lovin'. I bet that's why all the animals disappeared; he was raping them. Oh god I'm damaged.
-Dave

Maggie said...

jon sigrunsson - Well, not only is a warm puppy love, it seems by your logic that warm puppies equals good food too (read my next post). Eww..
I dunno if he was violating those animals, but it does get pretty lonely out there I'd imagine.