Monday, October 20, 2008

being a rock star!



Well, pretending to be one is pretty cool at least. Which is exactly what happened at Hedinn and Hanako's last Saturday. Beers were drunk, bbq eaten, and the living room transformed into a stage for "Guitar Hero". Though to be honest, I think towards the end we were all just so buggered that we ended up playing the guitars sitting on the sofa. The reason being all that delicious food Lorne and Hed bbqed for us!

           

It's pretty amazing how far video games have come. I remember when (god, I'm barely 25 and already using that nostalgic line) I was in primary school my PC game collection consisted of Commander Keen, The Incredible Machine, Duke Nukem and Jill of the Jungle, and for the violent shooting games, you couldn't beat Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.


Then, when I was in my teens, I was all about Monkey Island, Quest For Glory, Day of the Tentacle and Companions of Xanth (a must,by the way, for anyone who loves puns) and when I finally got my hands on the now out-of-date Super Nintendo, Donkey Kong was a pioneer in computer graphics. Well, not Donkey Kong himself since he's just a gorilla, but the game series.

Now there's stuff out there which requires the hand-eye coordination of a surgeon to play. I much prefer my simple point and click games or, at the most, a system that needs a controller wih only four coloured buttons and an arrow pad. Which is why the Nintendo wii is bloody awesome. It's simple to use and the games are pretty fun. I particularly like the fact that I kick arse in wii tennis, because, as my mate Jesse would agree, I utterly suck at real-life tennis. Same goes for bowling. And playing the guitar. And hula-hooping...

And to finish off, here are my top five computer/video games (in no particular order):

  1. The Monkey Island Series
  2. The Quest for Glory Series
  3. Day of the Tentacle
  4. Rock Band
  5. Wii Sports




5 comments:

Scott said...

I played way to much Commander Keen and Duke Nukem back in the day. Then again I'm old enough to have played Pong on the Atari when it first came out believe it or not.

I think we are really going to have a game night at my house one of these days. I'll set up the wireless, we can get some PCs and laptops and I can introduce you guys to some really cool stuff.

Anonymous said...

Best video game ever? Man it is a toss up. I'd say it's between PONG and ASTEROIDS! (did I just give away my age? groan)
Lorne ^_-

Holly said...

Hey Mags, when you're in Melbourne, you'll need to play guitar hero with us! We're going to get the world tour one, where you can be a drummer and singer as well - fun!

We're playing a bit of super mario galaxy right now... but you know, world of warcraft is super fun too - how geeky, I know. Okay, just warcraft 3 then. That's fun.

Maggie said...

scott - Ohhh, yes you have to do a game night. It'll be so geeky but fun! I never played the Atari before, but there was a pong game built into Commander Keen 4 (in his watch) that I bizzarely still remember.

Lorne - Cute. Pong is fun, but I'm a little fuzzy on Asteroids. (am I showing my age too? ;p) I think you'd enjoy Monkey Island. I'll see if I still have a copy of it next time I'm home.

holly - Cool! I've played the Rock Band one and it's so fun. Can't wait! Warcraft... you had that on the PC right? I think I played it, but couldn't get into it.

Scott said...

I'll have to show you both Doom 3 and Half Life 2. If you haven't played 3d shooters in awhile you will be amazed at how far they have come. As for the LAN party, it's a bit old but I'm leaning towards Enemy Territory still. It's got a small learning curve but it's insanley addictive when you get a lot of friends playing together, mainly because it's not just going around shooting people. There are diffrent rolls and stratagy and it's pretty cool.